I had currants and didn't know what to do with them. I love the tart taste of currants and I thought adding them to a blueberry muffin recipe would work and they did. My husband and I loved these. Enjoy!
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh currants
For the streusal topping:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg (or replacer mixture) and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
3. To Make Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup earth balance, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking. (You may not use all the topping)
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.